Spark!Lab Lead Facilitator (PART-TIME), Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation, Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History
The Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation (Lemelson Center) at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History (NMAH) seeks a part-time Spark!Lab Lead Facilitator. Spark!Lab is a hands-on invention space at NMAH for children around ages 6 to 12 and their caregivers that incorporates displays of historical inventions, biographies of inventors, and information about invention as a process. To learn more about the Lemelson Center, visit http://www.invention.si.edu.
Under the direct supervision of the Museum Program Specialist who oversees Spark!Lab, the Lead Facilitators are responsible for delivering compelling visitor experiences in Spark!Lab. The Lead Facilitator will:
- Work cooperatively with the staff and volunteers to present educational programs in Spark!Lab for general Museum visitors, specifically children and families.
- Ensure a positive Spark!Lab experience by greeting visitors; engaging visitors through conversation, inquiry, and experimentation; helping facilitate invention challenges; and offering assistance and encouragement at self- directed activities.
- Contribute ideas and constructive feedback about interpretive strategies in Spark!Lab and implement the planning and execution of informal and formal evaluation of Spark!Lab activities, operations, visitor experience, volunteer engagement, etc.
- Assist with daily operations to open, operate, and close Spark!Lab, according to procedures; performing routine maintenance such as inspecting for damaged or missing materials, replenishing supplies, keeping equipment cleaned and organized, and reporting problems appropriately.
- Assist with other general Lemelson Center activities as requested.
The best qualified applicants will have experience working in a hands-on education space with a variety of personalities, learning styles, and age groups. Experience with evaluative techniques and data analysis is preferred. The position will require frequent walking, bending, standing, and moderate lifting.
This is a part-time (21 hours/week), Trust (non-Federal) position at IS-5, Step 1. The hourly rate is $19.01, with benefits. Required schedule includes one weekend day and some holidays.
To apply, please submit by email a cover letter and resume as a single .pdf document with the subject line “Spark!Lab Lead Facilitator” to Lemelson Center Museum Program Specialist Emma Grahn at GrahnE@si.edu. Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. Eastern on FEBRUARY 21st, 2022.
The Smithsonian is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.